Trump Is Safe, Tests Negative For Coronavirus
President Donald Trump’s test for the coronavirus has come back negative. The White House announced the results on Saturday. Dr. Sean Conley, the White House physician, said that after they had a discussion, the President decided to have the test.
There have been some concerns that the President might have been exposed to the coronavirus after he met with Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro last week. Bolsonaro’s press secretary, who was present during the meeting tested positive for the virus. Bolsonaro has already been tested for the virus and was also found to be negative. The media has been making a big deal out of the President’s exposure. The President finally agreed to take the test to silence his critics and prove that he was not infected.
Trump announced that he took the test during a press briefing, where he also mentioned the latest steps that his administration is taking to fight the spread of the disease. During that briefing, Vice President Mike Pence announced that the travel restriction, which initially covered continental Europe, was being expanded to include the United Kingdom and Ireland. American citizens and legal residents who are in those two countries can go back to the United States, but foreigners will not be allowed to enter. The U.K. and Ireland were initially excluded from the ban but since then, there have been new cases confirmed in the two countries and so it was expanded to include them.
On Saturday, the White House has also begun testing the reporters who come in close contact with the President and the Vice President. They said that the temperature checks are being done in an abundance of caution.
By Saturday, there were 2,400 Americans who have already tested positive for the coronavirus, with 50 people dying from the disease. Critics of the government have been quick to point out the low number of people who have been tested for the disease. So far there have been around 10,000 Americans who have been tested, compared to the 200,000 people who have been tested in South Korea, a country with a much smaller population. The United States government has been ramping up its response to the disease. President Trump has already declared a national emergency, which allows the government to tap into $50 billion of emergency funding. The expanded travel ban is also meant to fight the pandemic.